MIXES

Mix Tape Favourites #6 – Pub Zinema, Ibiza 1989

In 1991 I borrowed this tape of a friend Mark Nelson who lived in the next road to me. At the time this tape seemed very outdated being two years old, in fact even in 1991 we used to refer to 88, 89 music as Old Skool, quite bizarre really as it was only such a small amount of time that had passed, but in music terms seemed an age ago, as the hunt for upfront music was the main motivation to satisfy your hunger. The original tape had Pub Zinema, Ibiza written on the label, I have googled and found the Zinema Bar, San Antonio, so maybe the tape was mis-labled. In 1991 there was talk amongst us of visiting the White Island, but I remember being put off by a friend at the time called Paul, claiming that Ibiza was now full of piss heads and had all gone “mental mental” and was not worth going to anymore, the scene had changed. So that was it, crossed off the list, in retrospect a decision I now possibly regret, or maybe not. I guess for the original party goers prior to 1991 it would have been different, but life is like that, it moves on and progresses, better or worse is a matter of opinion. The scenes were changing rapidly at this point, towards the end of the summer of 1991 the marriage between house, breakbeat and techno were breaking down, and started to drift apart into there own separate scenes. Unlike the three years prior where different styles of dance music lived almost harmoniously together, as clearly apparent in this mix tape, from the classic house sounds of Frankie Knuckles and UK Acid house from A Guy Called Gerald, fused with the harder sound from Europe in the form of Belgian New Beat.

Can you ID the first track on side A?

Pub Zinema – Ibiza 1989 Side A

Pub Zinema – Ibiza 1989 Side B

• Sun Pablo
    27/03/2011 - 23:03 | Permalink

Great site and sounds sublime!
    Thank you very much, you keep the genuine spirit of ’89 alive.

Keep up the good work and greetings from Spain.

• 12/04/2011 - 14:51 | Permalink

You sure know how to borrow things. 20years and counting.
    O well, possession is 9 10ths of the law, so it’s now yours.
    I to would have kept this one, some good times had to this era of music.

Liking the new look to the site aswel.

Cheers H

• 07/08/2011 - 13:26 | Permalink

I leant my brother my stereo from yesteryear, in it was an old cassette of centre force radio 88.3, nostalgia city, goose bumps and memories, needless to say he lost it, oh well, i worked out in Ibiza for 12 years and Zinema brings back memories, nice cassette.

• 10/08/2011 - 10:04 | Permalink

Nice 1 Danny …I am pleased the tape is bring back some memories… There are plenty of Centre Force mixes floating around cyberspace, I probably have a few I can find and upload at somepoint.

• harbordman
    24/09/2011 - 06:28 | Permalink

Could you please tell me the name of the track 4.45 mins into the first tape. I can’t for the life of me remember who it is. (got u on my mind)
    Cheers H

• 24/09/2011 - 18:53 | Permalink

wish I could mate …sounds like something that would have been released on Bigshot ..has that kinda sound to it ….would love to know myself

• harbordman
        09/10/2011 - 09:15 | Permalink

Found it and bought it.
        It by Gregg Lee, Got u on my mind.

You were correct, it is on Big Shot Records.
        Discogs has got them for sale.

The more I listen to the track the better it gets.
        One for anybody’s record collection me thinks.

Cheers H

• staaaa398
    13/02/2012 - 16:34 | Permalink

track 14.40 min side b ???????????????

• Phil
    17/05/2012 - 13:57 | Permalink

Can anyone I.D the track after french kiss,25 mins in A Side,great mix.

• 19/07/2012 - 19:54 | Permalink

two without hats – try yazz ?