ART BOOKS INFO

Raving 89′ – DJ History.com

Raving89coverWeb

At last a decent coffee table book to replace the run of mill interior design book or modern art book that our better halfs leave on show to impress their mates. Hot on the heels of the impressive (so I have reliably been informed, as I do not have a copy yet) The Disco Files by Vince Aletti, the guys at the amazing djhistory.com are taking pre-orders for what looks to be one of the most exciting and memory evoking photographic books to take pride and place in your home.

It’s by Gavin Watson the photographer who made his name with his brilliant Skins and Skins & Punks books (the latter came out through Vice Publications earlier this year).

Raving ’89 is a superb collection of his photographs. With 200 photos taken in the revolutionary year of 1989, this is the real deal. Hardly anyone took a camera to the raves, and the few people who did, got so bleary they left it under a speaker.

Gavin Watson not only remembered his Nikon, he’s also a truly world-class photographer. Gavin’s rave pictures capture the experience like no others. Grubby warehouses, hands through sheets of lasers, the haircuts, the smiles, the friends, the crimes against fashion. It’s a beautiful book, all wrapped up with hilarious recollections from Gavin and his brother Neville. DjHistory.com be taking pre-orders shortly, but you can have a sneak peek right now:

Keeping the spirit alive !

• 21/06/2009 - 17:18 | Permalink

That book looks fucking wicked, even if it is a daft coffee table book. It’d be great if someone had similar pix from up north ..

• 21/06/2009 - 20:35 | Permalink

Agreed Mr Smith …..it does look wicked ….Just recently there has been some wonderful pictures and video surfacing from the days of the raves… The PYMCA photographic gallery at The Albert Hall, another gallery of flyers and art from the rave scene in Brighton (that I actually missed) ..and some new videos and films…”High on Hope” ..about the Blackburn warehouse parties etc……the one Wayne Anthony has been involved with …(I cannot remember the title…and as I am in a hotel at present on a net connection no faster than 56kps…I won’t put myself through the agony of trying to google it)

Loving all this inspired medium coming to light after all these years

This book is a welcomed glance at the history of the glory days :)

• Kris Klassiks
    22/06/2009 - 19:27 | Permalink

Easy Tim,
    There is another book you might be interested in,
    Ive had it for years,
    Even got a few pics of my mates in th old days,
    None of me though!
    Its called ‘What Kind of House Party Is This?: History of a Music Revolution’ by Jonathan Fleming.
    Loads of pics & a bit of history aswell,
    I would recommend it.
    Heres an amazon link

PS-New mixes on the way soon bro-Talk soon mate,
    All th best,
    Kris Klassiks

• 24/08/2009 - 07:44 | Permalink

Looks good on my coffee table – excellent coverage of the glory days …

• sharon purdy
    21/10/2009 - 17:20 | Permalink

I ordered a copy of the book Raving 89,Iwould like to know how long it takes to receive my order,thank you.
    Sharon Purdy.