DIGGERS DELIGHT MUSIC

Warp 9 – Nunk (Instrumental)

r-50073-1108505292

I was listening to this early today and thought it deserved to be ressurected as it sounds just so good. The instrumental is a nice laid back electronic funk groove from 1982, and was relased when the emerging Electro scene  became popular in the UK in the early 1980′s.  I use to eagerly await the release of the latest Streetsounds electro and rush out and buy it, bring it home and start trying out my latest breakdancing move, which would usually end in an injury, like carpet burns on the head, or a bloody nose from kneeing myself in the face while doing crazy legs or the windmill. I could have uploaded a number of classic electro or the more obvious ones, but thought Warp 9 – Nunk is timeless and would work any dancefloor in a downtempo groove kinda way. Checkout the excellent Go Bang Brighton’s website for a superb interview with the Electro legend Greg Wilson.

Warp 9 – Nunk (Instrumental)

Some more Electro goodies..

and some more……

• 09/01/2009 - 22:18 | Permalink

Quality find, many thanks for posting this, definitely on the hunt for this.

I think it appeared on a Greg Wilson mix from a few years back which I never got the track listing on.

Keep em coming please.

Ali

• 16/01/2009 - 23:38 | Permalink

See you at The Jazz Place mate, got my ticket today as well, got some news about our micro festival coming up soon.

Peace Sir

Ali

• Jason Ross
    01/03/2010 - 04:15 | Permalink

love it! Thanks for “NUNK” by Warp 9, produced by Lotti Golden and Richard Scher. The track is, I agree, “timeless.”

• charlotte song
    29/05/2010 - 01:42 | Permalink

“NUNK” (stands for N (new wave) UNK (funk) is the bomb by Warp 9. It’s a gem of a track and sounds just as good in 2010 as it did in 1982. Timeless. Electro perfection.

• 29/05/2010 - 09:34 | Permalink

you are right it is a gem of a track and timeless ….love it love it love it

• bassababe
    05/02/2011 - 21:31 | Permalink

NUNK is the ultimate electro classic. Sounds as fresh in 2011 as 1982–incredible! The writer/producers, Lotti Golden & Richard Scher inspired electro at a seminal moment, and are among the progenitors of the movement. Where would music be without electro today? Thanks for this post!

• 24/02/2011 - 09:59 | Permalink

Huge kudos to you for posting the instrumental mix of Warp 9′s ‘Nunk, it was definitely one of those seminal moments in electro history and still sounds like it could have been made 29 seconds ago never mind 29 years!

No-one has yet mentioned a big part of the success of this record, sonically speaking was down to the co-production skills of Jellybean and one only has to listen to records like ‘The Mexican’ (where he took the original Babe Ruth track from 1973 and got the singer to re-record the vocals for his version) to see this….He often gets forgotten by both the disco and electro heads, reduced to the “madonna boyfriend” cipher in the cultural history books when infact he as much as Arthur Baker, John Robie, Bambaatta and John Davis (and countless others) were responsible for the electro sound.

I must admit I found most of the tracks by Warp 9 a little too ‘soul-funk’ for my tastes but another Jellybean production, the 1983 dub version of ‘Light Years Away’ is well worth tracking down though I am sure I am just preaching to the choir and everyone here is already well aware of it!

• kerrinboy
    26/03/2011 - 03:25 | Permalink

Great post. “Nunk” is the ultimate ambassador for electro. Golden, Scher and JB are all to be commended for this killer jam that still produces goosebumps. I agree–it sounds amazingly contemporary. Great records are timeless and this is one of the best.

• magdalamar
    06/05/2011 - 07:20 | Permalink

Hey–I agree. “Nunk” just sounds so good. It’s amazing how timeless the production is on this track. While it’s clearly electro hip hop, there is nothing dated about the record. Timeless music is like that. I’ve recently revisited Warp 9–this group, with a handful of others, defined a genre. Credit must go to the writer/producers, Lotti Golden & Richard Scher, masterminds of the project. While they wrote, produced, and played the instruments they were hip enough to choose real performers to create a band. The male singers, Bo Brown and Chuck Wansley are great on the raps and vocals. The female personnel changed a lot in three years, but Golden’s background vocals keep the sound consistent. (Ayda Dyre was one amazing vocalist who was with the group for a while.)

• 13/08/2012 - 07:04 | Permalink

Hey love this! I was looking for the release dates of “Nunk” and “Planet Rock” to see which came first. Still can’t get my answer, but both came out in 1982. If “Planet Rock’ gets credited as the first electro hip hop record, then “Nunk” is the second. Nothing wrong with a Silver Medal!